History

Organized in 1952, the Danville Fire Police began the Ambulance Service when Geisinger Memorial Hospital wanted to give up ambulance calls. For a $1.00 donation, the 1947 DeSoto ambulance was purchased from Geisinger.

The ambulance was kept in a garage in the Friendship Alley. The driver had to go three blocks away to the Montour Hotel desk to get the key when an ambulance was needed. Because there was no radio communication, telephones were used.

In 1954, the County Commissioners rented the garage at the rear of the Danville Jail on East Market Street for the fee of $1.00. On the bottom floor was room for two ambulances and on the second floor there was a meeting room. The first ambulances bought were a 1953 Cadillac for $7,162.95 and a 1955 Cadillac for $8,325.00. In 1977, a new ambulance garage was built on A Street in Danville. It was dedicated on April 9, 1977.

In October of 2015, Danville Ambulance merged with West Shore Advanced Life Support Services.  DBA Holy Spirit EMS-a Geisinger affiliate.